[the voice within]

Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer. -Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

Saturday, April 30, 2005

companionship versus love

"But you can't say that is love! That is merely a longing for companionship."

I've been wanting to blog about this for quite sometime now...in fact, almost a good two months. *gasp* That shows how busy I am...Gag. The typical life of a junior college student - bereft of any sort of decent time for pursuing one's leisure activities. Is the education minister reading this now?

Anyway...the point being, that statement was said by my friend in raffles about two months back. We were just happening to talk about this senior of ours who had recently broken up with his girlfriend. Somehow or another, we arrived at the definition of love and why people actually want to find "the other half".

I've been haunted by this for awhile. Each time I examine myself, I keep thinking about whether my motives for wanting to be involved in a relationship is "correct", so to speak. In the first place, who is to say that one is correct? How can you even quantify love?

Indeed, I feel I'm quite obliged to give the generic and more often than not politically correct answer that love is acceptance...love is the result of a good chemistry between two people yada yada...but I think that personally, I'd just like to find someone to accompany me through everything and be that person whom I can trust upon...and will support me.

I was quite tempted to voice out my opinion and to reject his idea about love...but still, would it be justifiable? Love is not merely companionship...there has to be some element of affection for each other as well. That part is undeniable. But I'm positive that no one wants to be an island. At least that's applicable to me. =)

Many of us have gone through (or are going through *sniggers*) relationships before and I think you guys will understand what a relationship really entails. It's not sugar coated with honey. Trust me. There's bound to be numerous obstacles along the way...and blah.

I digress.

Point being, what do you think is the "correct" motive aka justifiable reason for one to fall in love? What is your reason then? Is it even necessary to have one?

author's note : sorry for the uncalled for rambling. I've been plagued by it for a couple of weeks now and I can't help but get it off my chest. what crap am I talking about? this is my blog. ho hum. =)

2 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello.well the past entry was very funny:D,i could almost imagine the scene,and what a chance,loosing the cellphone in the toilet,c'est tres bizarre.:b ...
I loved this entry,talking about love,i love love :D ,well love is to me when you're ready and willing to sacrifice yourself for the sake of the one you love,despite the quality of love ( i mean friendship/partnership)the person i love ,i would die for him.I guess it was not clear what i just wrote.but a la rigueur ,l'amour pour moi dois passer par la compagnie avant puis l'amour sera basé sur plus que l'attraction purement sexuelle,il doit se baser sur l'humour de l'autre la morale de l'autre et puis sur son physique,et moi je ne marginalise pas le role de la physique , mais c'est mon point de vue...bonne chance , avec l'amour :b ..et adieu ...

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i forgot to tell you that this song is magnifique ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home