[the voice within]

Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'ĂȘtre obligĂ© d'en pleurer. -Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

Friday, June 24, 2005

University life?

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to grow up that quickly, especially now that I'm already 16.

I was reading a fellow diarist over at freeopendiary and he showed a picture of his bedroom in a hostel, I presume, during his university days. It was small, dark and hardly appeared comfortable at all. I don't think it measured more than 2.5m by 2.5m! He recounted how he spent his days in university, practising hard on his guitar (since he did a degree in music, majoring in classical guitar) and how he could only stretch in the hallway because it was far too cramped in his bedroom.

It struck me how real university life really be. It's not a honeymoon to a faraway place where you study in full comfort, having your IPod (yes...bradd. =PP) and your laptop on your desk, where you have your laundry done for you, where you receive your allowance and are free to spend it on whatever you want, where you don't ever have to worry about the utility bill. Instead, it's quite harsh.

It is ineluctable how we are expected to handle more and more responsibilities as we grow up. Even now, when I'm 16, I've already got a handful of them. However, none of them can beat the number of responsibilites that our parents have to juggle with every single waking moment.

You know, we're always bitching about how tough studying is, how doing tutorials during the weekend really suck. I know it's a pain. It is...But still, when you're in school, you're only responsible for yourself. No one else. If you've got lousy grades, you can't blame your best friend just because he/she scored that few more marks than you. At the workplace, you're responsible not only for yourself, but for the company, for your colleagues and also to your boss. Hell, you won't even know how long you'll spend in that cube farm! Ten years? Even the most (hellish) moments in school will only last an embarrassing 2 years or so.

Frankly, I love my life now. I feel motivated to learn. I love my subjects. I've got a fantastic CCA. Tutorials suck. Blocks suck even more. But I'm loving it. It's not going last long. Only a year and a half left - before hell really starts.

NS. Bleak.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Edmund said...

hey heyz.. yeah man... i hate NS too.. haha.. you know all my sec sch NS essays are all anti-NS... ermz.. okok hopefully no govt official comes across this.. :X:X:X and yupz... life now is pretty ok i reckon... and jiayou for blocks too!!!! :D:D
*decided to be different [extra?!] and comment instead of tag since you do tt to me too XPXP heez...*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home