[the voice within]

Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'ĂȘtre obligĂ© d'en pleurer. -Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

Thursday, June 16, 2005

an evening of sacred music*

I have this really bad habit of leaving the house just on time so that I won't reach the place too early and appear to wu suo shi shi (aimless). Looks like I've got to learn from this lesson.

Thinking I can find the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts easily, I left the house 1 hour 15 minutes early. Yada yada yada...took the train to Dhoby Ghaut (I've always wondered about the funny name...but oh wells.) and ate at the Long John Silver's there in ten minutes flat. I almost choked on the multitude of golden fries can. The chicken happened to be just fried some more. *faints*

Anyway, I took the bus to the bus stop that the street directory directed me to. Off I strolled...

Until I realised I was lost. Like what the...

So I asked some stall owner (thanks Auntie!) how to get to the NAFA before hastily rushing out to the concert hall.

zoooooom. Then I realised I was at the wrong campus!

ARRRRGH. Can you believe my luck!

Crossed the same road again - just that the traffic light was slower this time round. Thanks so much.

Managed to arrive in the nick of time. Just as expected. Phew. But I was sweating so profusely - so profusely I think it was blardy embarrassing. Bah.

And another embarrassing thing happened. I was at the door, waiting for the family in front of me to have their ticket torn so that they can enter the hall. Suddenly, this gorgeous looking girl said hi to me and extended her hand. Thinking she must know me and considering my "Alzheimer's" memory plus the fact that she was just DDG, I extended my hand as well.

That's when she said, "uH...your ticket please."

ARRRGH. Dies of embarrassment on the spot can! Geeeee.

***

Back to the concert. I loved the second half of the programme - the one with the asian spirituals and the afro-american spirituals. Somehow 20th century western spirituals just don't cut it out for me. They lack way too much structure, making it seem like an agglomeration of ideas. Abstract, but hey, people can argue that it's free expression. Afterall, isn't that what 20th century is supposed to be? A myriad of fragmented ideas pieced together to form a whole.

To me, that's just...hard to digest.

But the second half was great! Loved Orasho, which is a Japanese-d form of a spiritual. Beautiful asian harmony weaved together with the feel of a traditional church spiritual. Niiiice.

And of course, they sang Battle of Jericho. I've heard that before at their...dunno what concert. But it's still nice to listen to songs that you're familiar with.

The last piece of the prayer to the St Assise ( I think!) was extremely exquisite as well. Beautiful harmony with a very very nice soprano part. Ahhhh. Melted on the spot. I love such music!

For encore, they sang Flying Without Wings, which I've heard before as well. I remember once, they sang Over the Rainbow as an encore. And it's the arrangement that I know!! Wow. That was amazing. I love that song. It's in my top ten choir songs list. At least those that I know how to sing anyway! Hahhahaa...I'll compile a list soon.

***

Yay! Sua and Edmund will be coming over to house tomorrow! Yippee. Time for a good mahjong game. Too bad Guanhan can't come because of PW. Oh crap. Talking about PW, I still haven't made my interviews yet!! *shudders at the thought*

PW spoils my day.

***

Managed to complete 11 pathetic questions of mole concept today. Totally unacceptable. Must. Mug. Must. Mug.

*zen like look*

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

0_0 WHat you mean by "*zen like look*"?

-Zen-

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. very funny le.... i wonder what the girl whom you extended your hands to must be thinking....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home