[the voice within]

Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'ĂȘtre obligĂ© d'en pleurer. -Pierre Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais

Friday, September 09, 2005

My alma mater going IP?

So. It's been confirmed in the news that my alma mater, River Valley High School, is going IP, meaning that students will no longer have to take the O levels (oh good riddance!) and they'll proceed to tackle the infinitely more important A levels at the end of a staggering 6 years in the school.

6 years. That's six bloody long years.

It wasn't really a long time ago that I was in the school, complaining endlessly about how draconian the school is like, how conservative everyone is and just how plain ugly and unsightly the uniform is. Oh gee. It does seem like a long time now when I come to think of it. Days gone by. It's almost as if I've moved on all too quickly. And it's only been what, 9 months?

Frankly, the last time I heard about the school contemplating such a preposterous idea was about 5 months back, when I was engaging in a rather random conversation with one of my friends in hwachong. We were talking about how RV is so different from everything it is now (not that it's all that bad now. In fact, I'm loving it! Nope. That's not a hook for Mcdonalds.) and somehow the topic about RV wanting to chomp up the poor little primary school next door just to make space for the extra two years of students popped up in the middle of the conversation. It left me as shocked then as I am now that the school is really going for it. I mean, how on earth are they going to accomodate so many people in the tiny school? I don't mean to demean my school unnecessarily, but my school just happens to be that small. Let's face it. No point going ga-ga over Chinese High 'cause we'll never be that humungous. Even the college isn't as big!

Also, just where are all the extra teachers going to pop up from? The herb garden?? A levels, is very unfortunately, a lot more difficult than O levels. O levels is merely the tip of the iceberg. A levels is the real monster lurking in the background. C'mon! I'm sure you'll have to retrain many of the teachers there to manage the new A level syllabus - what with the H1, H2 and H3 crap. (I still bear a grudge against the ministry for making PW optional. But that's random again.)

So many problems await the school. I can't wait to see how they come up with manageable and feasible solutions. Aha! The subconscious effects of PW. How sneaky.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolx...didn't you read on? the school's going to move to some place in jalan boon lay I think...and that means that this new building at pandan is so going to be wasted. Wait so many years to redo school building, then move in 2 or 3 years then move again...and that means...more fund raising? *freaks out* haha...cheery thought no?

lolx..just thought of the 3C herb garden...shld rename it weed garden :p

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^hey yea i had that in my blog too
they're moving to sa next year
and 2009 to jalan boonlay for a bigger campus.


heard that the west coast campus'll be given to a pri school but we still get to keep the funds.

haha maybe the size wont increase. from next yr onwards the sec1s and 2s ARE gonna be in ip already..so anyone who goes in will effectively go into the ip prog. haha..just lucky for them that they wont have to do Os.

haha yea saw u at maf last night!
let's go out after promos and their O's..!

mav

 

Post a Comment

<< Home